Lower Merion Township Banner

220 Cuylers Ln

Date of Construction: 1886
Original Architect: Roberty G. Kennedy
Original Owner: Joseph G. Darlington
Description of the Resource: This 2 ½ story Jacobean stone mansion was constructed between 1881 and 1887 for Joseph C. Darlington. Called “Roselyn,” the 10-acre estate included this main house, designed by Robert G. Kennedy, and several outbuildings, including a carriage house and barn which are now at 210 Cuylers Lane. Darlington lived there until the early 1920s, and by 1937, several parcels had been divided off the original property. By the 1980s, the remaining five acres around the main house was subdivided. Typical of the style, the house is constructed of stone and has several parapeted cross-gables and wall dormers. The west façade holds a semi-circular entrance portico which is supported by two columns. A larger entrance portico is located in the center of the southern façade, which is gabled and also supported by columns. To the east of the portico is a two story, semi-circular bay. A couple smaller additions were constructed onto the northern and eastern ends of the building. Also on the property is a detached garage, added in the second half of the 20th century. (10/2012) Late 19th century Jacobethan stone mansion and two outbuildings (carriage house and barn) at 210. (1896 atlas: Joseph G. Darlington) 2+ acres. Check Cope & Stewardson entry for 1888 BDPA p. 166 "Residence Darlington M.D." (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA029

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014