Date of Construction: ca. 1881-87
Original Owner: Charles E. Mather
Description of the Resource: This stone gatehouse was constructed sometime between 1881 and 1887 for Charles E. Mather, owner of the “Avonwood Court” estate. The 29-acre estate included many buildings, and by the 1930s, the property was subdivided and many of the buildings were sold on separate parcels. This house is one story and is composed of two blocks. The one closest to the street has a pyramidal roof and at the peak is a stone chimney. The entrance is on the western side. A large, 1947 addition was added to the rear eastern corner of the house. It has a gabled roof and was designed in a manor that is very similar to the historic part of the house. A later 20th century garage was constructed southwest of the house. (10/2012) Arched lower windows Stone gatehouse from Avonwood Court estate of Charles E. Mather found on the 1896 Atlas.
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA031