Lower Merion Township Banner

251 Cheswold Ln

Date of Construction: 1928--designed
Original Architect: Grenville Rickard
Original Owner: A, J. Cassatt
Description of the Resource: The Cheswold Estate, built on a 54-acre property adjacent to Haverford Station for Pennsylvania Railroad President Alexander J. Cassatt, set the style for the summer retreats of wealthy Philadelphians. Cassatt began building the estate in 1872. Cassatt’s major accomplishment was the construction of the great Pennsylvania Station in New York City; he also served as Lower Merion’s Supervisor of Roads for nineteen years and was the President of the Merion Cricket Club at one time as well. The luxurious Queen Anne style villa that served as the main house was attributed to Furness & Hewitt with later alterations by Furness, Evans & Co.; the mansion has since burned down and no longer exists on the site. The executors of the Cassatt estate began to subdivide the property in the late 1930s, and Walter Durham designed charming and elegant colonial style residences on a more modest scale. The house at 251 Cheswold Lane once served as the garage and chauffeur’s quarters for the Cheswold estate. Eliza F. Cassatt Stewart owned the property in 1926, and architect Grenville Rickard designed the garage for the Stewarts in 1928. The garage had space for twelve cars and a room for washing cars. The seven large garage doors led out to a paved courtyard of concrete with a square pattern scored into it. This courtyard was surrounded by a tall stone wall with brick coping. The second floor two spacious apartments, the smaller with a large living and dining room with wood mantel, porch and two bedrooms and the larger with a large living and dining room with wood mantel, wide balcony and three bedrooms. Existed before 1928? (8/2012) eswold: carriage use/stable. (A.J. Cassatt) (see also 201 Cheswold Lane). (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: HA034

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014