Lower Merion Township Banner

2 Cedar Ln

Date of Construction: 1891-2
Original Architect: Hazlehurst & Huckel
Original Owner: James H. Sullivan
Description of the Resource: This former carriage house was built in 1891-2 for James H. Sullivan, owner of the original 5-acre parcel in Merion. The main house (at 501 S Narberth Ave) and carriage house were designed by Hazlehurst & Huckel in the Shingle style. The Sullivans had owned a larger tract of land prior to the 1890s, but as Merion developed, the property was divided and developed. Just after the turn of the 20th century, the parcel was sold to Mrs. Charles Beddale, who named the property “Maple Hall.” In the 1920s, the property was once again divided. The carriage house was separated from the main house and new development filled in the gaps. The house is set back from Cedar Lane and oriented west towards the road. There is a full-length porch on the front of the house, which is supported by clustered wooden posts. The hipped roof has large eaves that overhang the stone walls. There is a continuous shed-roofed dormer on the front façade, a single shed-roof dormer on the south façade, and a gabled dormer on the north façade. There is a large chimney and a small wing in the rear of the house. Also on the property is a garage, located south of the house. (10/2012) Converted late 19th century carriage house for: Maple Hill. (main house at Narberth & Rockland). (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: MS003

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014