Lower Merion Township Banner

354 Baird Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1908-1913
Original Architect:
Original Owner: George R. McAbee
Description of the Resource: This carriage house was constructed between 1908 and 1913 as part of George R. McAbee’s estate Bonniview (see 611 Hazelhurst Avenue). In 1944 it was converted into a single family residence for widow Mary West. The carriage house is constructed of the same fieldstone as the Neoclassical mansion. The H-plan structure has intersecting gable roofs and three twin gabled dormers on the front and rear slopes. The stone piers of the original carriage house bays still stand, supporting a porch. The converted house has two outbuildings, the larger of which may be original as it stands on the site of a similarly sized building that appears in some atlases. (10/2012) Converted stone carriage house/stable for: Bonniview. (1913 atlas: George R. McAbee). (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: MS039

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014