Lower Merion Township Banner

364 Baird Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1908-1913
Original Architect:
Original Owner: L.R. Zollinger
Description of the Resource: This converted carriage house was constructed between 1908 and 1913 as part of Dindorff, the L. R. Zollinger house. Dindorff was converted into a residence at that time; the structure previously served as a greenhouse with attached accessory buildings for the Baird estate, Bardwold (See also 374 Baird Road, 529 Heath Road). The carriage house was originally attached to the main house and was moved to a site just southwest of the house between 1937 and 1948 (this rearrangement may have occurred in 1937 when P. Beccia was carrying out other alterations and additions to Dindorff). The residence has intersecting gable roofs; the front section, from which a large L-shaped wing extends, has a clipped gable and half timbering on the facades and gable ends. The front (east) of the house has a shed-roof porch the length of the fašade and two hipped dormers. The center and rear sections of the house both have large shed dormers and are also half timbered. (10/2012) Jacobethan brick/stone mansion (#374) probably converted outbuilding from Bardwold estate of Matthew Baird. Main house (now demolished) designed by Benjamin Linfoot in 1885. 1886 atlas shows greenhouse & attached buildings on this site. In early 20th century it was converted to a house (Dindorf); carriage house at 364 probably dates to this period. Now called: Dragon Hill. Fine entrance posts. See also 529 Heath. (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: MS040

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014