Lower Merion Township Banner

515 Conshohocken State Rd

Date of Construction: 1820 (datestone)
Original Architect:
Original Owner: George Grow
Description of the Resource: According to a datestone, this fieldstone house was constructed in 1820. Unsure of who owned the property first, by 1851 this house and sixty acres belonged to George Grow. Within the following twenty years, the property was divided and the 40-acre lot with the house and its stone and frame barn (now at 601 Conshohocken State Road) belonged to Catherine Grow. Grow owned the property until the 1890s. By 1896, it belonged to Samuel B. and Samuel F. Tibben, who also owned adjacent lots. Before the turn of the century, however, they sold the property to P.A. Heebner who amassed 53 acres before selling it to William Grange in the late 1910s. Within ten years, Grange sold it to Richard Seltzer, who also held the property for less than ten years. The large property was subdivided into small lots and by the 1960s the house and barn were on separate parcels and surrounded by many newer houses. The house sits back from the road and the front façade faces south. It is a 2 ½ story structure with two smaller additions constructed onto the eastern end. It was embellished with Georgian architectural elements, such as a wide cove cornice, pedimented dormer windows, and a double interior chimney on the eastern gable. The gables are closed by the cornice. The main block has five, evenly-distributed windows on the first floor, four of which are shaded by a shed roof porch supported by four columns. There are four windows on the second level. (8/2012) P.A. Heebner. Handsome 4 bay stone house w/cove cornice; date stone reads 1820/1931. Early stone frame barn in back on separate parcel (601 Conshohocken State Road). On 1881 Atlas was estate of Catherine Grow. Land Subdivided. Needs further study. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: NA015

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014