Lower Merion Township Banner

715 Conshohocken State Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1851-1871
Original Architect:
Original Owner: John R. Jones
Description of the Resource: The earliest construction of this large stone house began sometime between 1851 and 1871 on the Jones’ Glanrason Plantation. The Jones family owned property in this area from 1683 until well into the 20th century. Until the mid 19th century, most of the land was inherited by or sold to members of the family. This house appears on Jonathan Jones’ 90-acre property after the construction of Conshohocken State Road, which was constructed through a western portion of his property. The house, which underwent several additions and alterations, and its various outbuildings were owned by Jonathan Jones until sometime in the 1940s. After the turn of the 20th century, much of the original 90 acres was sold, leaving Jones with a 40-acre parcel and half-a-dozen buildings. In the 1940s, the property was subdivided, and by 1961, the area was completely developed. The elegant 1 ½ story Stick style house has an elaborate, cross-gabled roof composition and several large additions on the rear and sides of the house. The symmetrical front, south, façade has a centered gable flanked by gabled wall dormers. Above the wall dormers are two additional gabled roof dormers. A one-story, shed-roof porch spans the full length of the front and has a small gabled peak in the center, over the entrance. The porch is supported by simple spindled posts. A one-story, flat-roofed stone addition was constructed to the eastern wall and a three-story flat roofed stone addition was constructed behind the house. Connected to the western side of that addition is a three-bay, side-gabled garage. (8/2012) Glanrafon: Large well detailed stone Queen Anne w/ porch. (1896 atlas: John R. Jones). (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: NA018

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014