Date of Construction: ca. 1871-1877
Original Owner: Jonathan Jones
Description of the Resource: This 2 ½ story house was constructed for Silas Jones circa 1877-81, who resided on the 90-acre property owned by Jonathan Jones. Silas Jones lived at the main house until just after the turn of the 20th century. By 1908 the 21-acre parcel south of Conshohocken State Road, on which this house and its outbuildings (carriage house is now at 726 Conshohocken St Rd) were located, was sold to Dr. Joseph F. Neff. Neff resided there until the 1930s, after which the property was subdivided and the house and carriage house were split into separate parcels. The house, constructed of stone, is a Second Empire building, with typical architectural elements such as a Mansard roof with dormers, a large, one-story wrap-around porch, and a projecting bay window. The north, street, façade five bays wide and has there gambrel-roofed dormer windows and an enclosed porch that wraps around to the entire length of the eastern side. Extending westward from the porch is a gabled porte cochere. Constructed onto the western side of the house is a recent one-story oval addition which has a Palladian-style window in its front. A two-story hipped roof addition was added to the rear of the house just after the house’s construction. Finally, there is one bay window in the center of the eastern façade on the second story. (8/2012) A late 19th-century carriage house/barn that has been converted to a residence. It was built before 1896 for the estate of Jonathan Jones at 726 Conshohocken State Road.
Street Classification: Secondary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: NA020