Lower Merion Township Banner

222 Broughton Ln

Date of Construction: ca. 1913-1920
Original Architect:
Original Owner: M.W. Stroud Jr.
Description of the Resource: M.W. Stroud Jr. built Hollow Tree between 1913 and 1920 on 4 acres parceled off from the Curwen estate. A typical two-and-a-half story Colonial Revival home, Hollow Tree originally was a stone and stucco, centered gable plan house with symmetrical bays and dormers. The house has undergone several transformations including the addition of a new garage, servantsí quarters and new kitchen in 1926, a new chimney and cellar in 1928, a one-and-a-half addition with new entry in 1930 and several other alterations throughout the 1920s and 1930s. An original outbuilding (c.1924-1930) exists (with several additions and alterations) at 321 Spring Mill Road. (10/2012) Early 20th century stucco Colonial Revival mansion. (1938 atlas: Boulton Saltus: Hollow Tree). (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: VI001

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014