Lower Merion Township Banner

250 Broughton Ln

Date of Construction: 1840
Original Architect: Charles Humphrey (builder)
Original Owner:
Description of the Resource: Constructed in April of 1840 by Charles Humphreys, a local builder, this house served as an outbuilding for the Gothic Revival mansion Walnut Hill (demolished). This frame and stucco structure housed, in its east wing, the Walnut Hill boiler and is thought to have been where the milk utensils were cleaned. This property (with 242 Broughton Lane) was subdivided from Walnut Hill c.1948-1961. It underwent alterations in 1945, 1951 and 1959, was stuccoed and currently exists in its c.1948-1961 form with gabled additions to the north and west. These alterations are generally sympathetic to the building’s original restrained Colonial Revival style. (10/2012) Walnut Hill: outbuilding. (See 359 Spring Mill Road) Stucco late 18th or early 19th century. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: VI003

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014