Lower Merion Township Banner

272 Broughton Ln

Date of Construction: 1907-8
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Thoams E. Barid
Description of the Resource: This el-shaped fieldstone Colonial Revival building was constructed by Thomas E. Baird, Sr. for his son in 1907-08. It replaced an earlier frame Gothic-style cottage. At the same time Baird Sr. built the adjoining house at 1612 Montgomery Avenue for his daughter, Mrs. Eisenbrey, as well as a house for himself again adjoining to the west on Montgomery Avenue (lost to fire ca. 1960). These homes were built as part of Baird’s 7-1/2 acre “Appluldu” estate shown in the 1908 atlas, subdivided into three separate properties by the 1913 atlas. Broughton Lane had been laid out in 1907 by George F. Curwen to run due north across his property just east of his old farm picket fence. He named it Broughton for his father’s Cumberland home. (10/2012) Handsome stone Colonial Revival house. (1913 atlas: Thomas E. Baird). (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: VI006

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014