Lower Merion Township Banner

701 Canterbury Ln

Date of Construction: 1932-1933
Original Architect: Seeburger and Rabenold
Original Owner: William H. & Catherine Luden
Description of the Resource: Designed by architects Seeburger and Rabenold, this large stone house was built in 1932-1933 for William H. Luden and his wife Catherine. Luden was the heir to the Luden cough drop and confection fortune. The Ludens named their 11-acre estate L’Abri, and it was an L-plan house in the French Eclectic style that was popular in the United States between 1915 and 1945. The original front façade (south) is symmetrical with a steeply pitched hipped roof with two two-and-a-half story hipped bays extending from the façade. The porch between these two bays is likely not original. At either end of the south façade there is a lower-pitched hipped section along the same frontage as the main central section. At the east end, this extends back in an east ell. There was a later addition to extend this wing. There are two chimneys placed on the slope of the central section and another two chimneys at the junctions of the extending bays and outer wings. By 1948 the Ludens had moved across the street to 811 Spring Mill Road, “Holly Manor,” another Seeberger and Rabenold design. Also c.1937-1948, new owner Frank H. Reichel had enlarged the property, constructed two outbuildings (which appear to be extant, greenhouse and small pyramidal hipped building) and re-named the estate “Framar.” The property has also been called “Wrenfield.” (10/2012) See 720 Spring Mill Road (VI023).
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: VI086

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014