Lower Merion Township Banner

1 Cherry Ln

Date of Construction: 1889-1896
Original Architect: Robeson Lea Perot
Original Owner: Effingham Perot
Description of the Resource: Effingham Perot’s residence was built on an eight-acre tract of land on the east slope of a Mill Creek tributary. Perot was the grandson of Effingham B. Morris, lawyer and president of the Girard Trust Company, who lived on an adjoining property along Mill Creek. Architect Robeson Lea Perot designed the house, carriage house and stables in about 1889 with the completion of his relative’s estate before 1986. Mrs. Effingham Perot sold the property in 1914 as a nearly six-acre tract to William D. Winsor, whose family owned adjacent land. Three years later, William S. Godfrey purchased the residence and engaged Brockie & Hastings to carry out substantial Georgian Revival alterations to the Victorian buildings. The firm added a two-story porch on the west side, created a formal Georgian entry and moved the porte cochère to the east façade. The house exhibits the formal symmetry and simple massing of the Georgian style, and is made grand by front door with arched fanlight and sidelights, columned raised portico with balustrade, pedimented dormers and central Palladian dormer. The interior has been renovated by the current owners for their use. (8/2012) This Colonial Revival mansion was built between 1887 and 1896 for Effingham Perot’s estate, The Beeches. It was designed by Effingham Perot’s nephew, Philadelphia architect Robeson Lea Perot. It exhibits the formal symmetry and simple massing of the Colonial Revival, and is made grand by its center section, which sports a front door with a fanlight, a columned raised portico with a balustrade, a bank of windows on the second floor, and a complex shed dormer with an arched top. The estate was later called Woodford, and the house underwent alterations by the firm of Brockie & Hastings. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: WW001

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014