Lower Merion Township Banner

151 Cherry Ln

Date of Construction: 1907
Original Architect: Furness Evans & Co.
Original Owner: Marriott Smith (Smyth)
Description of the Resource: Frank Furness built Brentwood, the Marriott Smith estate, in 1906. Built on 33 acres of land that was formerly St. Marys Farm, the property was already home to five buildings. Atlases show that Smith demolished all but a springhouse (c.1877-1881) and a carriage house/stable (pre-1896) and may have also kept but moved a small frame house with porch (pre-1896) that served as the gardeners cottage. The two latter structures were demolished, but the stone springhouse still stands at 516 S Sydbury Lane. The two-and-a-half story Georgian Revival estate house is constructed of rock-faced grey stone with smooth ashlar blocks for quoins and for voussoirs above windows. Other Georgian Revival elements include denticulated cornices and a denticulated pediment over the entry, an arched entrance door with fanlight and sidelights, column-supported porches and arched windows. Although the exterior of the house did not express his highly personalized and eclectic style, Furness designed oddly shaped rooms with paneled walls, ornate fireplaces and carved stairways on the interior. The interior has been altered significantly over the years. Arthur Brockie also designed a small flat-roof addition to the northwest corner of the house in 1926 to be Walter Lippincotts study; the study had wainscoting, wood cabinetry. A pool was added in 1929, and some of the original landscaping just southeast of the pool designed by Thomas W. Sears still exists. Mellor and Meigs carried out alterations in 1938, and Samuel Yellin fashioned copper lamps, wrought iron standards and brackets and other metalwork in that. Other additions and alterations were carried out in 1949 and 1954. Today, the southwest, as opposed to the original southeast, fašade is expressed as the front of the house with a central Palladian window and a wide entrance porch supported by columns. A low addition of the end of the gambrel-roof ell was most likely added in 1989. (8/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: WW012

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014