Lower Merion Township Banner

212 Cherry Ln

Date of Construction: 1907
Original Architect: Edgar V. Seeler
Original Owner: Frank C. Roberts
Description of the Resource: This stucco Colonial Revival mansion, designed in 1907, was the centerpiece of Frank C. Robertsís estate, Penybryn. Its design is attributed to local architect Edgar V. Seeler. Roberts, who had Penybryn built for his own personal use as opposed to as an investment, himself was a civil engineer in partnership with Hank Miles. Roberts and Miles had a close, influential association with Seeler. The house has the typical blocky, hipped-roof form and symmetry of a grand Colonial Revival mansion. It displays Colonial Revival embellishments such as terra cotta accents, corner quoins, numerous gable dormers, a columned door surround, and decorative keystones and inset tablets above the first-floor windows. The house underwent several alterations between 1926 and 1937, and an ell was added off the east side of the house. Alterations were made to this ell between 1946 and 1947. Two extant outbuildings were constructed at the same time as the house, and three smaller post-1961 accessory buildings were constructed along the driveway. (8/2012) This stucco Colonial Revival mansion, built in 1907, was the centerpiece of Frank C. Robertsís estate, Penybryn. Its design is attributed to local architect Edgar V. Seeler. Besides its typical blocky hipped form and symmetry, it displays embellishments befitting a grand version of the Colonial Revival, including terra cotta accents, corner quoins, a columned door surround, and decorative keystones and inset tablets above the first-floor windows. (91)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: WW015

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014