Lower Merion Township Banner

311 Cherry Ln

Date of Construction: 1908-13
Original Architect:
Original Owner: W. Littell White
Description of the Resource: This stone house and carriage house were built between 1908 and 1913 for W. Littell White. By 1920, the property was owned by L. Caspar Wister. The original residence owned by White and Wister was a two-and-a-half story L-plan house with intersecting gable roofs and a small porch at the southeast corner. The Colonial Revival residence had a symmetrical fašade with a stone chimney at each gable end. In 1930, Mrs. L. Caspar Wister commissioned R. Brognard Okie to build an addition to the house, a two-story wing that extended off the west side of the original house at a setback, and a small garden house just behind it. The addition included a living room with stone hearth and porch supported by columns on the first floor and a bedroom, dressing room, bathroom and several closets on the second floor. The garden house is a small stone building with a shingle gable roof, one window and a door. Okie also carried out some alterations on the existing residence, such as replacement of the cornice, and designed several landscape features. Many of these landscape features remain today. The exterior of both the original and 1930 sections of the house have high integrity, although the symmetry of the original first floor fašade has been altered with the replacement of the right (east) window. The current door, framing and transom may be original but have been moved so they are no longer at the center of the building. Okie also designed alterations to the carriage house at the rear of the residence in 1935. Okie moved the staircase that separated the stable and garage to make one large open space across the lateral section of the building. The octagonal tower that now stands off the west side of the garage was not added by Okie and was not present at the time of his 1935 renovations. (10/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: WW024

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014