Lower Merion Township Banner

535 Ballytore Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1877-1881
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Henry Morris
Description of the Resource: Now converted to a private residence, the late nineteenth-century Maple Grove carriage house functioned in its original capacity up to 1951 as part of one of the few farming complexes still standing in Lower Merion Township. The main house of Maple Grove, now located at 524 Clothier Road, is believed to have been constructed in 1829 and functioned first as a local farm and later, from 1881 on, as the family summer farm of Isaac Clothier, founder of Strawbridge and Clothier department stores. In 1951 the Clothier family sold Maple Grove for subdivision, with one of the plots including the former carriage house, then a double garage with living quarters above plus an unconnected servants apartment. Following conversion into a single-family dwelling in the 1950s, the carriage house is now a two-story clapboard home whose interior contains many original architectural features. The Maple Grove carriage house, together with the farmhouse a few blocks away, are significant as fine examples of period architecture, as well as documents of the farming period in the history of Lower Merion. (10/2012)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: WW053

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014