Lower Merion Township Banner

630 Clothier Rd

Date of Construction: 1885
Original Architect: Addison Hutton
Original Owner: Isaac H. Clothier
Description of the Resource: Ballytore is a grand stone mansion that was erected in 1885 for Isaac H. Clothier, founder of Strawbridge & Clothier Department Store, who lived there until 1933. It is in the style of a picturesquely peaked and turreted European castle, and has been attributed to prominent local architect Addison Hutton (1885 BDPA p.404). The original estate was 60 acres and included a stone farmhouse (see 524 Clothier). The mansion was used for the Agnes Irwin School for girls until 1961, and is now the St. Sahag-St. Mesrob Armenian Church. Part of Strawbridge/Clothier Study Area. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: WW062

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014