Lower Merion Township Banner

742 Argyle Rd

Date of Construction: 1926-27
Original Architect: Ralph E. White
Original Owner: Lower Merion School District
Description of the Resource: Originally built from 1926 to 1927 as the Wynnewood Road Elementary School (1927-1978), this building is now the Torah Academy. It was designed by the notable architect Ralph E. White in a stately Classical Revival style. It is a formal brick structure with a stone section in the center of the fašade, which displays a dramatic row of three identical entry doors and three windows above them, and provides grounding for the rest of the symmetrical fašade. The doorways are topped with classical triangular broken pediments and divided by full-height pilasters . (85)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Tertiary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: WW071

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2014