Date of Construction: 1863
Original Owner: Casper Wistar Morris
Description of the Resource: Estate house and outbuildings formerly belonging to Wistar Morris, president of the Pennsylvania Railroad (1858-1891). The stone mansion, dated 1863, is built in an eclectic Gothic revival style that includes details in the Jacobean style. It features steep, parapeted gables of various sizes and forms, including stepped and Flemish gables. The original estate, called Green Hill, consisted of 300 acres, including formal landscaping and a stable, which remain today. In 1925, Charles Morris Wood (the grandson of Morris) sold 18 acres and the house to Friends Central, which was established in 1945. (Toll 1103. Early photo in King p.75.) (88) Potentially eligible for individual listing on the National Register of Historic Places. (PDP 04).
Street Classification: Primary
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: WW077